18.7.07

Festivals.

Business trips in Kanoya aren't all bad.
I don't have to pay for my A/C, hahaaa!

The last few days, oh man...pretty fucking crazy!

There are/have been festivals all over Kagoshima (and other parts of Nihon) in the last week or so, and continue in other areas.
I'm excited for the Autumn Festival in Kagoshima this August; The Nihon-jin really enjoy their fireworks, as most asians do (eg. Juanita). The 'works should last around 2 hours.
In Kelowna we were lucky if we got 15 minutes.

I finally met this teacher named Adam, whom I've been told by everyone to meet, a few days ago.
Everytime I would mention an interest or something about myself to another teacher, all I would hear in response is, "Oh man, you have to meet Adam".
He called up another teacher that lives upstairs from my apartment a few days ago to tell him to ask me if I wanted to hop on a train to Kagoshima-chuo (I still do not have a phone) to go out to some DJ thing with his girlfriend and a few friends.
I hopped on a train, we finally met, and he took me to his friends house where I met some really awesome people.
I've been told there's some really lame foreigners around Japan, people who were there simply because they didn't want to be where they were before, but these were not those people.
Unbelievably rad guys & girls.
I'll speed along from here.

Adam got really drunk, we stayed out until around 6am, and then proceeded to his apartment.
He crashed his bike several times, mostly with his girlfriend on the back of it while I rode her bike; she now has a very large bruise, and his arms are quite red.

The next night was the Festival Day 1, which was a blast, and afterwards Adam's girlfriend told me through broken Japenglish to come back the next night, because she had a friend that she wanted me to meet named Atsuka.
I made it back to Kokubuo eventually, and that night hung out with a couple of JTs (Japanese Teachers), Ayume and Marika who, after some drinking, ended up staying the night.
I had to do a couple of demos for "Summer School" the next morning and I thought sleep to be the worst course of action, so instead I showed Ayume some of my favourite music.
She took special liking to Jeff Buckley, so we lied down and listened for about an hour.
It was a great night, but all understanding of time from there through the next couple of days is skewed.

I made it through the demos, and did fairly well at them.
Adam and I went from there to the festival, met his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's friend, who turned out to be quite beautiful; I was quite flattered that she had wanted to meet me.
Alas, my shyness hasn't really changed.

It's been a fun time in the last few days, it's nice to know that interesting people are bound to show up when you look for them.

3 comments:

kaare.iverson said...

Two kinds of ESL teachers: Those who go abroad to experience the culture and benefit from the experience...and those that go there because they can't function in Western society (panty sniffers, basically)

chicken soup. said...

I just wanted you two know that the following quite actually made me laugh out loud:

"The Nihon-jin really enjoy their fireworks, as most asians do (eg. Juanita)."


[insert virtual ambush-hug]

chicken soup. said...

crap! "to" not "two".

fuck!