2.7.07

LJ Entry VIII

"June 24th, 2007

This is what was faxed to me as I got to my first class to teach on Friday from my Performance Supervisor for Kagoshima.
His name is Ben.

"Hi Jesse, this is Benjamin, the Kagoshima PS, sending you some info about your Area. I hope teaching's going well with you and you're getting along well with your training group. So you'll be moving to a city called Kirishima (formerly and still often referred to as Kukubu). Kirishima has some beautiful hiking spots, not to mention lots of Hot Springs around the area. You're also 45 mins away by train to Kagoshima City where you'll find more shopping and urban fare. As well there's [picture of volcano] Sakurajima, our local active volcano. No lava for almost 100 years, but some ashes fall once in a while. Sweet Potato Shochu is also quite popular here, along with Kuro (black) buta (pork) dishes. Kyushu and Kagoshima moreso (we like to think) is home of the Samurai spirit and traditional Japanese values and hospitality. You'll find lots of smiles and welcoming people, especially if you can speak some Japanese.As for your schedule, you'll be having 3 schools and 1 of them will be a business trip (5 days in Kanoya City). Please give me a call (if I haven't reached you yet) at my cell xxx-xxxx-xxxx and I can let you know more about the Area!Welcome to Kagoshima! [smiley face]Benjamin"

He wrote it by hand."

No comments: